How to Download Skype and Install it
Skype was first released back in August 2003 by the original developers who were Jaan Tallinn, Ahti Heinla, Janus Friis, Niklas Zennstrom and Priit Kasesalu. By 2010 Skype popularity had grown to over 663 million registered users, and in 2011 Microsoft bought Skype at a price of $8.5 billion. The name Skype was derived from the words “sky” and “peer”.
Skype can be defined as a freemium voice-over IP service which allows you to send instant messages. Currently it is under the management of Microsoft Skype Division, which has its headquarters in Luxembourg. Skype allows users to communicate with each other in real time by voice and video using a microphone and a webcam and support instant messaging. Other additional features you can find on Skype includes videoconferencing and file transfer.
Another great feature from Skype is that it allows users to place phone calls to the traditional telephone networks such as landline telephones and mobile phones at a very affordable cost which is based on debit account system. Skype to Skype calls are completely free of charge. Skype has other competitors such as Google Hangouts and Linphone, but it is still by far quite popular.
Skype Download and Installation Procedure
Skype download for Windows 7, 8, Vista and the previous windows is quite easy and absolutely free. You can download Skype to your computer from their official website http://www.skype.com/en/. The website homepage is as shown below:
The procedure for download and installation of the free Skype download is as follows:
1. Go to the official Skype website where the homepage view is more or less like the screen shot shown above. You will have the option of downloading the software to your computer or if you prefer you may use it online. To use it online, log in to your user account by clicking “Sign in”. To have the software run from your computer, then click the “Download” icon which will lead you to the Skype free download.
2. After clicking the “Download” button, it will load a next webpage which will identify which device you are using: whether it’s a computer, tablet, smartphone, TV and Home phone among other devices. Note that Skype can be used in all of these mentioned devices, but this procedure is for downloading Skype to your computer. Here you will see the screen shot as given below:
3. Skype website will correctly detect which device you are using, (and in this case it will be a computer) scroll down to where the download Skype button is located. It will look like the screen shot below:
4. By clicking on the above icon, the next page will come with a message thanking you for choosing to download Skype, and will be followed shortly by a setup file as shown below. Click on the option save file, which will initiate the download process.
5. The setup file will download to your hard drive, after you click on the “Save File” icon. Once successfully downloaded, you need to run the setup file by double clicking it. The usual installation procedure of installing a program in windows will follow: Windows wills ask you if you are sure you want to open the program click “Yes”, then complete the installation process.
6. After Skype has successfully downloaded to your system, you will be prompted to sign in to your Skype account. If you do not have a Skype account yet, you should then register for one. You can register using Skype, Facebook or Hotmail account. Choose the option you are comfortable with.
7. After getting your user account (user name and password) log in to Skype and start enjoying the amazing features on Skype.
After following all the above steps, you should be able to use Skype. You will be able to stay in touch with your family, friends and colleagues via video chat, Skype calls, instant messages, calls to mobile and landline phones.